Paula, our insane cook, was kind enough to send this in. I am rushing to get it out cause Hanukkah starts tomorrow night!
Potato Latkes with Apple & Apricot
I will probably have to concede this one to you as well Ted.Ingredients:
But I am stuck in the kitchen surrounded by recipes that need to be shared.
- 3 Sweet Apples ( Gala or Fuji) peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger ( freshly grated works nice)
- ¼ Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/3 Cup apricots, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ Cup Golden Raisins
- ¼ Cup Water
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and grated ( these work best and have a great flavor)
- 1 Onion , grated
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Matzo ( meal)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt ( I omit this)
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Canola oil for frying.
- Combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger and mustard in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apricots, raisins and water.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour into bowl and set aside.
- Drain excess water off potatoes on paper towel.
- Mix grated potatoes, onion, egg, matzo meal, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup of mixture to the hot oil, lightly press with a spatula to flatten pancakes and cook until golden brown. Approx. 5 minutes. Turn it over and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with Apple & Apricot sauce.
And what do you know sheesh... An Irish woman in Boston is making YUMMY Latkes!