The following is Gillian's recipe (Food, Recipes & Little Known Facts From The Past) for Lemon Spread (Lemon Curd).
- 3 lemons
- 4 oz butter
- ½ lb caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- Grate lemon rinds.
- Squeeze out and strain lemon juice.
- Beat eggs.
- Add sugar.
- Beat everything well.
- Add butter in small pieces, lemon rind and juice.
- Stand basin in a saucepan of hot water. Stir over moderate heat until butter and sugar are dissolved.
- Regulate heat to keep water in pan below boiling point.
- Continue cooking and stirring with a wooden spoon (don’t stop! It’s good for the wrist) until the mixture thickens enough to set when tested on a plate.
- The right consistency is reached when the curd coats the back of a spoon.
- Put into sterile jars and seal well.
- Refrigerate after opening.
- Delicious on bread and butter.
Easy as spreading it on the bread! (Something new for me from Oz!)