Sinful Bread Pudding
Paula is at it again! She writes:
This is my very own creation. As I mentioned in a prior post, my dear mother is a HORRIBLE cook. She used to take a loaf of white bread and throw a couple eggs and a few cups of milk over it, bake it and call it bread pudding. It wasn’t until I grew up that I realized bread pudding is actually a very nice dessert.Ingredients:
- 12 – 14 slices of Cinnamon Bread ( I have also used a French vanilla bread as well)
- 4 Eggs (separated) whites will be used as meringue topping.
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Sugar (for meringue)
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 Cups Soy Milk
- 1 Stick of Margarine melted
- 3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- ½ bag of White morsels (white chocolate chips)
- Break bread up into pieces about ¾ “ in size
- Place in large bowl and toss with ¼ cup of soy milk and melted margarine.
- Pour into 9 x 13 glass or ceramic dish.
- In a separate bowl, place egg yolks, remaining soy milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Using electric mixer, mix for 3 minutes.
- Pour over bread mixture.
- Sprinkle White chocolate morsels over it.
- This will cook in a water bath. Simply place ceramic dish into a slightly larger pan .
- Water should come half way up the side of the ceramic dish. This will make it custard like and keep it from drying out.
- Cook for 1 hour @ 350 degree oven.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and mix with electric mixer. Start on low and gradually turn up to medium speed. Mix for 3 minutes.
- When they begin to foam a bit , gradually add sugar and continue to mix for 3 minutes.
- Spread egg white mixture over the top of the bread pudding and place in over for 5 minutes ( until the top slightly browns) this will happen quickly so keep an eye on it.
- Serve hot or cold.
A bit of work, especially separating the egg whites etc. and needs a bit of finesse (which I never have!) But well worth it. Delicious.