Cabbage Rolls

Carole adds again to her recipes here at Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen. This one is different and great for a side dish or appetizer.

Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients:

  1. 10 large cabbage leaves
  2. 1 pound ground beef
  3. 3 Tablespoon chopped onion
  4. 3 Tablespoon chopped green pepper
  5. 3 Tablespoon chopped celery(I'm not a celery fan so I usually omit this)
  6. 3/4 cup cooked rice (If you only partially cook the rice, it will expand in the crock pot and fill out the cabbage better - almost sealing it)
  7. 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  8. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  9. Dash of pepper
  10. 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
  11. 1/3 Cup water
  12. 1 - 10 ounce can tomatoes
  13. 1/4 teaspoon each, salt & seasoned salt
  14. 1 package Kosher Sausage, sliced into 2 inch pieces
Directions:
  1. Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for abut 5 minutes, or until just tender.
  2. Drain the water.
  3. Combine ground beef, veggies, rice, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper in bowl and mix well.
  4. Spoon meat mixture into individual cabbage leaves. Wrap the edges around and secure with a toothpick.
  5. Place rolls, seam/toothpick side down, in a casserole dish or stock pot or crock pot, however you choose to make them.
  6. Mix remaining ingredients together, except the sausage, and pour over the top.
  7. Place sausage pieces around the rolls.
  8. If you are baking this dish, cover the casserole and bake at 350 for an hour.
  9. If you are cooking in a stock pot, just cover and simmer for an hour on medium heat. I've never made this in a crock pot although my mom does it all the time. I'm not sure about how long it would take so if you are going to try it, it might be best to do that on a day when you'll be home so you can watch over it.
  10. Make sure you either remove all the toothpicks after the rolls are done or at least warn everyone that there is a toothpick in each roll!



This may be a bit daunting for the starting out cook, but it is much simpler than it looks to make. Cabbage rolls are a great appetizer or side dish and most people tend to love them. So we will leave it 3 stars for difficulty, but if you are used to the kitchen by now, it is worth a try and not as difficult as it first may sound. By the way, I would try and used "kishke" ("stuffed derma") for the sausage. Indeed I am going to make this and let you know how it tastes. A great example btw, of how you can make sure anything stays kosher!

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

Submit Your Recipe Or Story

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My KitchenTeddy's Writing Mania


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...