A Basic Pie Crust recipe for a 2 crust pie from Guess Who? - Paula Our Insane Cook Keeps On Rolling! She Writes:
This is a basic 2 crust recipe. Sometimes dough does not cooperate while being rolled out and will frustrate you. Instead of using excessive amounts of flour, place waxed paper on the surface you will use to roll the dough on and place another over the dough. You can roll it using this method fairly easy and it will not stick to the surface.Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Shortening
- 10 Tablespoons of Very Cold Water ( I place in a small bowl with water and place a few Ice Cubes in it) - You may not use all of the water.
- In a large bowl, mix Flour and Salt with a spoon
- Using a fork, work in shortening
- Add enough cold water to make the dough stiff without becoming sticky.
- Try a few teaspoons at a time you may end up using only 5 -7 tablespoons.
- Now dig in with your freshly washed and lightly floured hands and kneed the dough a bit. Squish it between your fingers until blended.
- Separate into two balls of dough.
- Place one onto a lightly floured surface or on a lightly floured piece of waxed paper
- Roll out lightly until it is approx 1/8” thick.
- Line a 9” Pie plate with the rolled dough, gently tuck it into the dish then trim the edges with a knife.
- Place the trimmings with the other section of dough.
- Roll out the other section in the same way.
- Place filling (see below) into pie plate and cover with the other dough.
- Pinch down around edges with the edge of a fork and trim around with a knife
You can either purchase pie filling (but why would you do that if you are making the crust or make it yourself! Below is Paula's Apple Pie Filling. Since Pies are versatile creatures you can use almost anything. Blueberries, Cherries, Strawberries, Pears etc.
- 6 Cups thinly sliced and peeled apples ( I use Granny Smith and Cortland mixed)
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl mix the apples with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Place apples into the crust lined pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture over the apples.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over apples.
- Sprinkle flour on top
- Cover the pie with the second crust that has been rolled out.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes until top is golden brown.
Okay not simple not difficult. So three stars. But this is a Parve pie so it is really great!