Potato Kugel (Basic)

Paula's next recipe from a Jewish restaurant which was located at 69 Salem Street, Boston Massachusetts circa 1895 is Potato Kugel. Unfortunately for Paula she is now treading where the women in my synagogue dare not tread and that is in Teddy's Kitchen!

When it comes to Cholent and Kugel - forget it Insane Cook though you are. I got you beat hands down! But because Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen is for everyone, and because I just happen to think this Potato Kugel is not bad here ya go people. And it is great for Hanukkah.

Potato Kugel

Ingredients:
  1. 2 lbs Potatoes
  2. 1 Onion
  3. 5 Tablespoons Chicken Fat
  4. ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
  5. 3 Eggs
  6. 1 Teaspoon Salt
  7. ½ Teaspoon Pepper
  8. Lots and Lots and Lots of SOUL
Directions:
  1. Grate or Shred potatoes.
  2. Discard excess water.
  3. Grate onion into potatoes.
  4. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
  5. Put 2 Teaspoons chicken fat into mixture.
  6. Heat skillet with 3 Tablespoons chicken fat and pour mixture into pan.
  7. Pour mixture into skillet and bake for 45 minutes on 400 degree oven
  8. If the kugel is browned on the bottom and top seems not done, place in the broiler for a few minutes until top browns



Now let me make this clear! Potato Kugel must be made with a great deal of "soul". That is the most important ingredient. (Cholent takes even more "soul"! Put your whole Neshamah into it. Nurture it. Watch it. And I promise you everyone who eats your Potato Kugel will say it is a taste of the Garden In Eden. (Three for difficulty cause you need all YOUR SOUL! (and it will not hurt to follow the exact directions either!)

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

Submit Your Recipe Or Story
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My KitchenTeddy's Writing Mania


Comments

Ok as insane as I am, I shall concede to you on this dish ONLY. However I think it would only be fair if you were to make this and send some for a taste test before I can let you have this one hands down.

I would not dare tread in Teddy's kitchen. I spend way too much time in my own.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...