The following is Gillian's recipe (Food, Recipes & Little Known Facts From The Past) for Pacific Island Mango Chutney
(Chutney is a sauce or relish of East Indian origin, often compounded of both sweet and sour ingredients, as fruits and herbs, with spices and other seasoning.)
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) green mango pieces
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup other sugar (white will do)
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green ginger
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup raisins
- Simmer everything except the raisins until the mango is almost tender.
- Add the raisins.
- Cook until the mango is very, very tender and has a lovely translucent look.
- The syrup should be quite thick.
- Cook slightly before sealing.
- If you want to keep this is a cupboard rather than the refrigerator or give it a longer life (it really should be kept in the fridge and used within a few weeks), then add about 2 tbs salt to the recipe.
Exotic tastes but an interesting recipe for a cool sauce. We love mango so I am going to try this soon.