Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie from Paula, The Insane Cook
This can be made with the Pie Crust Recipe I sent prior to this - Fruit Pies (Apple Pie).
You can substitute or add veggies to your liking. I add spinach and broccoli.
Made ahead they freeze well.

I know you will give this a difficulty rating of at least 4, but this is so worth the time and effort.
(Paula read my mind cause it is a 4!)


Chicken Pot Pie

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen - Chicken Pot Pie

Make the pie crust first.

Ingredients:

Chicken & Stock Ingredients:
  1. 3 ½ lb Frying Chicken
  2. 1 Carrot
  3. 1 Celery Stalk
  4. 1 Small Onion ,halved
  5. 2 Teaspoons Salt
Filling:
  1. 6 Tablespoons Margarine
  2. 1 Large Onion , diced
  3. 3 Carrots, sliced thin diagonally
  4. ½ Cup Flour
  5. 1 ½ Soy milk may be used (real milk in a kosher recipe of meat is a no-no!)
  6. 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme leaves
  7. ¼ Cup Dry Sherry
  8. ¾ Cup Green Peas (Fresh works best. Frozen tend to get mushy)
  9. 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
  10. 2 Teaspoons Salt ( I use Celery Salt)
  11. 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
  12. Egg ( to wash crust)
To make Stock
  1. Combine Chicken, carrots, celery, onion and salt into large stock pot.
  2. Add cold water to just cover.
  3. Bring to a boil over a high heat.
  4. Reduce heat to simmer ( Low) simmer for 45 minutes.
  5. Remove chicken from the pot and let cool for 15 minutes. While chicken is cooling, continue to boil the remaining vegetables in the pot.
  6. When the chicken is cool enough to touch, strip away as much of the meat as you can. Place the meat on a dish and set aside.
  7. Return the chicken bones to the stock pot and continue to boil on high heat for ½ hour. Set aside 2 12/ Cups of the stock to use now. The remaining stock can be frozen for use at another time.
Filling:
  1. In a large skillet, melt butter or margarine on medium heat.
  2. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions are translucent (approx 10 minutes)
  3. Add the flour and stir. Whisk in 2 ½ Cups of chicken stalk.
  4. Whisk in the soy milk.
  5. Decrease heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
  6. Add the chicken, thyme, sherry, veggies, parsley , salt and pepper. Stir. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
  7. Place into pie plate that has been lined with pie crust.
  8. Pour filling into pie plate
  9. Cover with second pie crust.
  10. Using a pastry brush, brush a lightly beaten egg over crust.
  11. Cut a 1 inch vent into the top of the crust.
  12. Bake on 400 degrees for ½ hour or until crust is golden brown.



Yep actually almost a five in difficulty. This recipe is a great example on how to take a "normal" recipe which calls for meat and milk products together and keep it kosher. Margarine instead of butter; Soy Milk instead of milk. (By the way, Paula may kill me here but Lemon Juice may work ever better than Soy Milk! And you would only need half the amount.

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Submit Your Recipe Or Story
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My KitchenTeddy's Writing Mania


Comments

Good call Ted
Lemon works great with fresh fruit or veggies. It is a natural flavor enhancer.


I use soy milk in most of my recipes due to my mother and daughter's lactose intollerance. I have not found it to make much difference in taste whether cooking or baking.
I have just made 6 of these pies. One thing I should have added when posting the recipe was seasoning.

When all the veggies and chicken are in the stock, taste it. I find extra celery salt adds a wonderful flavor.

Sorry for the lack of info on this one..

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...