Shrugged sent this one in with the following remarks:
This would probably do for the cake contest, but I'm just making this a regular submission. No story lies beneath this recipe but an urge to have some coffeecake and profound laziness which kept me from driving to the store. I hope your readers enjoy it.Walnut-Applesauce Coffeecake
- ½ cup butter/margarine softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 12oz tub sour cream (approximately 1 ¼ cups)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon dry spiced apple cider mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter/margarine
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9x13" pan.
- To make cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs – one at a time – until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, applesauce and vanilla.
- Beat applesauce mixture into egg mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cider mix and salt.
- Gradually beat dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and set aside.
- To make topping: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and white sugar.
- Cut butter into sugars until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle Topping liberally over Cake batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Wine Bottle, Grapes and Walnuts Art Print
11 in. x 14 in.
Buy at AllPosters.com
Fifty Percent (50%) of all revenue of any product purchased through Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen goes to help feed needy families in Israel. The funds are donated directly to the needy families - regardless of religion, race or creed. The remaining 50% will be donated to a Rape Crises Center for Women in Israel. (For a full explanation please read this.)
If Shrugged is not putting this cake up as a submission in the Great Cake Recipe Contest I have no clue why. Unless she has a few other recipes to knock us off our feet with! The baking part is a bit complicated here, so take your time reading the instructions. So three stars for difficulty. (Pay attention cause it needs a few bowls!) And Yes - Shrugged does have a thing for Walnuts, or so it would seem. :) I will of course allow Shrugged to switch this into an entry for the contest if she desires as well as her previous cake entry recipe.