The Cake For Any Occasion - Cake Recipe Contest

The Great Cake Recipe Contest - Submission # 1

Submitted By Paula - She Writes:
This cake is a "For Any Occasion that comes up" recipe. It is expected at every birthday, anniversary, new baby, graduation, etc in my family.

As I have mentioned in some of my submissions, my mother and grandmother are very bland cooks.
However, one of my great, great aunts was said to have a way with food. Legend of the Ryan family, Aunt Kate cooked the "Sunday" family dinner each week and the extended families would gather at her table. I never had the honor of experiencing her cooking but I have had the ultimate compliment paid to me on many occasions by those who have. Many times the older relatives will say "You cook just like Aunt Kate". I usually end up catering most family functions because I am the only one who truly enjoys cooking and I never tire of hearing the comparison.

She had a plaque hanging in her kitchen with the following blessing:

May there always be room at your table for one more
No matter where they've come from, when they shadow your front door
May your smile be forever welcoming
To each guest that graces your home
For you never know where your kinfolk roam
May kindness warm and show the way
Be a gracious host each and every day

Recently, my grandmother was staying with me while recuperating from surgery and requested "Kate's every occassion cake", (in her lovely Irish brogue).

"Darling, you cook just like me aunt, God rest her soul. Teach yer daughter to love the kitchen and carry on with traditions."

Of course, I made her the cake, who could deny an 86 year old passing out compliments? Not me.

This is fairly easy, yet light and delicious.
Items Required:
  1. 2- Round 9 inch cake pans
  2. Electric Mixer
  3. 2-Mixing bowls (one for the topping)
  4. Rubber Spatula
  5. Wax Paper
  6. Serving Plate (10 inches or larger)
  7. Cooling racks
Ingredients for cake: ( Topping to follow)
  1. 6 Jumbo Eggs (Separated) - Let sit at room temperature for at least 1/2 hour prior to make separating easier
  2. 1 Cup of Flour
  3. 1 Cup of Sugar
  4. 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  5. 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
Directions for Cake:
  1. Beat egg whites on high with electric mixer until foamy
  2. Slowly add egg yolks, one at a time, to egg whites, continue to mix with electric mixer as you add the yolks.
  3. Continue to mix after each of the following additions.
  4. Add the sugar
  5. Add the vanilla
  6. Add baking powder
  7. Add flour gradually ( a little at a time)
  8. Mix well
  9. Grease both cake pans and line with wax paper ( outline wax paper using the pan as a template)
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  11. Allow to cool for ten minutes
  12. Remove from pan and continue to cool on wire racks
While the cake cools, prepare the topping

Ingredients for Topping:
  1. 1 Medium sized can of crushed Pineapple
  2. 1 1/2 Pints Heavy Cream (for whipping)
  3. 3 Teaspoons Sugar
  4. 1 Large Jar (or can) of Sliced Peaches (do not drain the juice)
  5. 12 Strawberries , cut in half
Directions for Topping:
  1. For the best results with the whipped topping, chill the beaters to the mixer and make sure the whipped cream is nice and chilled, shake well before using.
  2. Using electric mixer, Whip the cream adding one teaspoon of sugar at a time.
  3. Transfer one of the cakes to the serving plate
  4. Spread the Pineapple and 1 cup of whipped topping evenly over the layer
  5. Place the second cake on top of it
  6. Drizzle 1/2 Cup of Peach juice over the top.
  7. Spread the rest of the whipped topping over the top and sides
  8. Decorate the top with the peaches and strawberries.

Shop @ Amazon with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ Cafe Press with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ AllPosters.com with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need


Fifty Percent (50%) of all revenue of any product purchased through
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen goes to help feed needy families in Israel. The funds are donated directly to the needy families - regardless of religion, race or creed. The remaining 50% will be donated to a Rape Crises Center for Women in Israel. (For a full explanation please read this.)

If you substitute "Parve" cream here for real cream you can keep this recipe Parve. Otherwise it is Dairy. (No ratings are given for entries into The Great Cake Recipe Contest)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...