Real Men Don't Eat Quiche

In my recent post, Honey-Garlic Chicken With A Few Other Tidbits, I told readers of Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen the story of the almost-not-done chicken on Friday. What I did not mention is that in the morning I made two dairy dishes. I was kind of stupid. I did not think of taking pictures of the Mac & Cheese one, (which I should have - cause it came out SO PERFECT...sheesh!) but I did think of taking a picture of my potato madness Quiche.

Now this is not really a Quiche... so I am cheating... pfffffttttt. Hell, it kind of looks like Quiche! So I am taking a literary license on this one!

It is actually almost the exact the same recipe as the one I gave in, Mr. Potato Head - The Good Ole' Potato Recipe, but it is worth its own post, me thinks. There is a bit of a change nothing drastic mind you, but if you rather make a dish and not start with the muss and fuss of nice looking potato halves, this will fit the bill quite nicely.

(I did try to make the picture come out nice.. but I am so not a photographer!)

So here it is:

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche

Subtitled: (can you tell I write for a living?)

Potatoes, Cheese and Some Spices To Liven Up Your Taste Buds


Potato & Cheese Madness

Ingredients:
For this dish above:
  1. 8 medium potatoes (I have an affinity for medium sized potatoes. The large ones take a long time to bake and get soft - but to each their own)
  2. 1 Teaspoon Basil - spice jar is fine here actually recommended
  3. 1 Teaspoon Oregano - same as above (use the spice jar not fresh!)
  4. 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder or 5 garlic cloves grated fine.
  5. 1 Teaspoon Onion salt or 1 small to medium sized onion grated fine.
  6. 1 Half Teaspoon Sweet Paprika
  7. 200-250 grams (or more depends on your taste) Cheese grated - (whatever you like here - regular, cheddar, mozzarella - go for it!) I buy it already grated in these tight spots. A little more money - a lot less work in the kitchen.
  8. Around 600 gram of sour cream (or 2 pints)
  9. 1 Teaspoon Butter
  10. Extra Virgin or Virgin Olive Oil - the good stuff folks not the cheap kind!
  11. (Some people will want to add in one raw egg. I find it totally unnecessary, but to each their own.)
Directions:
  1. Bake or Boil potatoes. If you bake them leave the skin on. If you boil them - first peel them. If potato skin bothers you even after you mash up potatoes then boil them.
  2. To Bake - wrap each potato separately in aluminum foil. Turn the oven up to as high as you dare. Mine is in Celsius - I use 275 degrees Celsius. These babies just have to bake nothing more. Medium size potatoes will take between 60-90 minutes on the average to get soft enough to cut.
  3. To boil - Peel the potatoes and drop them in a pot on the flame (with water in it guys!) and let it go for around 60 minutes. Medium flame. Make sure the water does not boil out!
  4. Check the potatoes after 60 minutes by just putting a fork through the aluminum foil or in the potato in the pot. If they are soft take them out of the oven - use gloves (don't be like me and burn your hands!) If they are not yet soft on the inside leave those babies baking or boiling away!
  5. Once they are soft enough take them out and put them in your serving dish.
  6. Take out a big good fork or flat utensil and mash them up. Go ahead. Take out all your aggression on those potatoes. I give you permission. Make sure there are no small hard lumps!
  7. Take the olive oil and sprinkle very lightly over the cut potato halves. Again VERY LIGHTLY. Just a touch.
  8. They should be steaming so all you have to do is dump the butter inside. Mix it around until it melts.
  9. If you are going to add a raw egg - do it now.
  10. Sprinkle the Basil on the potatoes.
  11. Do the exact same thing with the Oregano.
  12. Do the exact same thing with the Garlic powder. If you are using grated fresh Garlic spread it around.
  13. Do the exact same thing with the Onion salt. If you are using grated fresh Onion spread it around.
  14. Now once again spend around 60-90 seconds mixing it all up in there. Remember you should not have any "potato lumps"!
  15. Take the Sour cream and cover the whole top with it. You should not see any potato once done. Just a layer of sour cream.
  16. Now sprinkle the Paprika very lightly over the sour cream. You should see the red inside the white cream.
  17. Now the grated cheese over the potatoes. Sprinkle on top. As much as you like. I like cheese so I cover the tops with cheese.
  18. Now cover the bowl or pan or whatever you are using with aluminum foil. We need these babies to bake but not too fast.
  19. Make sure your oven is about 200-225 degrees Celsius - 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  20. Put the potatoes on and plan on 30 minutes.
  21. Check them after 15 minutes see if the cheese is totally melted down the sides and you may possibly see a bit of the Olive Oil on the bottom of the bowl.
  22. Once done - take out and serve.
This can be refrigerated without any harm for a few days as well. Then heated in the oven or nuked in the microwave.

Shop @ Amazon with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ Cafe Press with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ AllPosters.com with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need


Fifty Percent (50%) of all revenue of any product purchased through
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen goes to help feed needy families in Israel. The funds are donated directly to the needy families - regardless of religion, race or creed. The remaining 50% will be donated to a Rape Crises Center for Women in Israel. (For a full explanation please read this.)

Pretty much the same ingredients as the Mr. Potato Head - The Good Ole' Potato Recipe. By the way, you can try adding a bit of curry in here. Here though, you do not have to worry about the appearance of each potato half as it is all in one dish. Plus, this keeps much better if you have leftovers. I am going to repeat again this recipe contains the three C's - Carbohydrates, Cholesterol and Calories. Be careful with stuff like this. This is not a dish to serve to those who want to diet or overweight people.

Comments

Deborah Dowd said…
The other day when I had gotten a slice of quiche from the Jefferson Lab cafeteria, a guy I work with said "Real men don't eat quiche", and laughed and I told him to think of it as a spinach and cheese pie, and I know damn right well that real men do eat pie!
This looks delicious. I am always looking for new ways to make potato dishes. I refuse to eat another mashed potato. My dear mother served them every day of my life growing up.

Your recipes are fun to read. I love the humor you use to approach your madness..
Ted Gross said…
We aim to please :)

Madness? Me? Hah!
unicorn said…
Great blog, Ted. BTW, if you par-boil (in skins, of course) your potatoes first, they'll bake in the oven a lot quicker.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...