A new commenter appeared today and posted a recipe for Macaroni & Cheese in the recent entry of the recipe by our insane cook Paula, for Macaroni & Cheese. I posted that comment of course, but I am going to put the comment here in full as yet another recipe for Macaroni & Cheese.
This was posted by Almost Vegetarian and you can check out her blog by clicking on the link. I obviously have an affinity for anyone who describes their blog as:
One woman’s struggle to find food that is good and good for you while enjoying a laugh or two along the way.So here you go with Mac & Cheese from Almost Vegetarian:
I have an even faster recipe for mac 'n cheese, if you like (and, sometimes, when dealing with kids, fast makes all the difference).
- Boil a package of noodles - macaroni or shells or something of a similar size - to al dente.
- In the meantime, shred a package of the best quality, extra sharp cheddar you can find (this is a simple dish, so quality makes all the difference).
- Layer the pasta and cheddar in a non-stick pan (you are right, it sticks like crazy), starting with pasta and ending with cheese (three layers should do nicely).
- Sprinkle a generous handful of parmegiano reggaino on top, as well as paprika, freshly grated pepper (if you have white, it is prettier, but black is fine if you don't mind seeing the specks), and sea salt. If you like it spicy, add minced garlic.
- If you like it gooey (and kids generally do), mix a handful of grated mozzarella (again, best quality) with your cheddar.
- Bake at 450 Far. for about half an hour.
- You should have a nice crunchy crust, but if you do not, pop it under the broiler for a few minutes (keep an eye; it likes to burn).
Yep, fast and quick. Mac & Cheese is a favorite of kids as I commented on in the last post. BUT remember this is cheese and pasta.. loads of calories. Good for kids to use up energy but just because it is easy to make don't be tempted to make it too often. I will be commenting on Obesity later on in a few posts, but always do things in measure. However, just a one star for difficulty here and thanks again to Almost Vegetarian. Hope to see you here more often!