Teddy’s Insane Laws For The Kitchen & Cooking - Rule #7

Teddy’s Insane Laws For The Kitchen & Cooking

There Really Is A Method To My Madness


Rule № Seven

Beware Of Medical Conditions, Especially Allergies

This rule speaks for itself. When we were growing up, my parents used to take us to Miami Beach every year during winter vacation. I happen to love fresh squeezed citrus fruit. I used to drink tons of it there, and would always break out in hives on my chest and face. My sister was often put in charge of making sure I did not sneak off to drink orange juice in the hotel. Well over the years the allergy seemed to have gone away, and from time to time I purchase a liter of freshly squeezed orange juice and down it in a few gulps.

So imagine my shock, when a few weeks ago, as I was getting ready to go to a wedding, my eyes started itching like crazy and blew up to the size of golf balls and red, itchy blotches appeared all over my face. I could not figure it out until I remembered I had a liter of grapefruit juice not an hour before. (This is a good reason to keep anti-histamine in the medicine cabinet.) Worked out well though, as it was a great excuse to leave the wedding early.

Keep food that you or your children are allergic to out of the house or away from them. Reactions to eating something one is allergic to are swift and often not very pretty.

Another fairly common intolerance to food, (which most of my family shares) is lactose intolerance. Simply put, it is the inability to digest lactose which is the dominant sugar of milk. If one does have this intolerance, the symptoms are usually gas and bloating. So be careful, when cooking with large amounts of milk.



Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen



Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.


Comments

B.E. Sanderson said…
Good post. Thanks for thinking of this, and I hope you're all better now.

Allergies run rampant through most of my family. (Thankfully I and my daughter escaped the food allergies.) The main offender in my family is the family of legumes (i.e. peanuts, soybeans, etc.), and the reactions to these types of foods can actually be fatal - causing anaphylactic shock. One of my nieces is the worst, and her throat begins to close when she even smells peanut butter. Even though I live thousands of miles from my family, I am still very careful when making peanut based baked goods to hand out here, and I make certain to notify everyone in advance of the ingredients.
Sneaky little allergies rear their ugly heads. Citrus causes canker sores for my daughter. She loves lemons, orange juice and ketsup and refuses to give them up. I tried several remedies to rid her of these buggers which last 2 weeks and found Orabase by Colgate is the only product to work for her.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...