Teddy’s Insane Laws For The Kitchen & Cooking - Rule #3

Teddy’s Insane Laws For The Kitchen & Cooking

There Really Is A Method To My Madness

Rule № Three

Always be prepared

An open home is a wonderful, secure, joyous place. When children pop in and out on their way to anywhere, just to say hello and make sure you have not yet forgotten their names, it helps keep perspective on life. The really bad days are not so bad anymore.

I hate, loathe, abhor, detest, cannot bear (enough adjectives?) shopping for food. I cannot stand supermarkets or waiting in line to pay for food. Yet one of sad rules of life is that if you want food in the house you have to shop. I usually drag along some unlucky kid to help me keep my sanity and carry the bags. So when I muster up enough courage to shop and meditate the night before, I buy much more than required over the next week or two. I will do anything not to see the inside of a supermarket for as long as can be managed.

Yet I also dislike being caught without any food in the house, and my kids and their friends come over and want me to make them a meal. So a very delicate balance is kept within the home. My children’s friends all know they are welcome, and when they come, and I am around, the first thing I do, and have taught my children to do, is offer them something to eat.

Let them rummage in the refrigerator, and feel comfortable enough to ask for a steak or an omelet. Let them feel at home in your house, because in the end they are your children’s friends.

Learn to be prepared. If you hate shopping and making lists as much as I do, always try and keep something to feed those who come by (even if it is only tuna-fish or cereal.) Do not throw out leftovers. They too can be used to put together some quick meal.

I cannot even begin to count the amount of times my children had friends over for a big meat supper, and forgot to divulge such trivial information that their friend was vegetarian. Experience demands that one always be prepared with some other food or fruit if it happens. Remember as well, some vegetarians do not fish, eggs, or anything from live animals. So don’t assume that a can of tuna fish will always be a good substitute.


Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.


Comments

Anonymous said…
i'm working my way thru your "insane rules", and just had to comment on this one.

i "hate, loathe, abhor, detest, etc" almost every form of shopping... except, oddly enough, grocery shopping.

perhaps it's because i live in a metropolitan area where grocery stores are open 24/7 (or at least until midnight), and i'm a night person. so instead of fighting crowds and lines, i shop in the late evening hours. (when all the "sane people?" are home asleep.) sure, i have to try to navigate my cart around the stock clerks and the stacks of boxes and cartons in the aisles, but it's peaceful. and i can concentrate on "buying much more than is required" or that's on my list.

just as cooking is/can be a pleasurable experience, so is planning meals by wandering up and down empty aisles looking at "what if?" items. "oh! that looks good and i can use it for..." "i didn't know they made that, i want to try it." "oh, they have fresh whatchamahoozies on sale today! yummy, i want some!"

works for me!
shalom

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...