- 3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- Butter or Two Eggs
- In medium sauce pan, dissolve 1/3 cup baking soda in 5 cups water.
- Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl sift together flour and baking soda.
- Stir in milk and honey until dough pulls together.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly until dough is firm.
- Divide dough into approximately 12 equal pieces (for large soft pretzels) or more depending on your desired size.
- Roll each piece into a rope approximately a foot long. Form into desired shape. Pinch ends to seal.
- Dip pretzels in baking soda solution (I recommend placing the pretzel on a flat spatula and lowering it into the soda bath for a few seconds.).
- Place onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Brush pretzel with butter, or egg mixture (depending on your taste, but you need to have some kind of glaze to make the topping stick). If with eggs crack 2 eggs and just mix them for a minute or so, and then baste (brush) the pretzels. Beware using butter will make the pretzels dairy (chalavi). Using eggs keeps them Parve.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Save leftover pretzels in an airtight container so they don't go stale.
Easy to make and great to have around. Your first batch may not come out so great (experience is usually the best teacher :) hey at least I tried! - BUT have faith after a few choice curse words you will get it right!)
Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.