Our Insane Cook Does It Again - Paula just loves that kitchen!
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- ½ Cup Flour
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Large Egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 lbs Boneless Chicken ( Cut into ¾ inch pieces)
- Canola Oil for frying
- 1 20 oz Can Pineapple Chunks (do not drain)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup White Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 Cup of Water
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1 Red or Green Pepper (seeded and cut to thin slices)
- 1 Bunch of Scallions (diced small)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Combine First 4 ingredients in a bowl. Stir with wire whisk until blended.
- Add Chicken and mix until coated. ( this is called dredging)
- Pour Oil into fry pan and heat to 375 degrees.
- Place coated chicken into hot oil and fry for 5 minutes (until golden brown)
- Drain on paper towel.
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a bowl. Set pineapple aside.
- Mix juice with 1 cup of water. Add brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons of water with 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- You can use a deep sided fry pan if you do not own a wok.
- Pour 2 Tablespoons of canola oil in pan and heat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, peppers and scallions.
- Stir fry for 3 – 5 minutes. Stir in juice mixture. Bring to a boil. Continue boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture, stir constantly until sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and add chicken.
Difficult - yes. Worth it - definitely! Paula does it again with this recipe. Maybe she will write in and tell us just how much time she spends in the kitchen!