Homestyle Chicken Fricassee

This one is submitted by Shrug from the US:

Home-style Chicken Fricassee

This is one of those recipes whose name for me invokes my childhood. Chicken Fricassee was a delicacy in my home and served on Shabbat. I may in the future add my own (secret) recipe for this - but Shrug's is great. A little forethought and planning is required, but then again it is worth it!

Ingredients:

  1. 6-8 chicken thigh/leg pieces
  2. Water (laugh all you will but that is an ingredient!)
  3. 4 large potatoes
  4. 10-12 baby carrots
  5. 4 stalks celery
  6. 1 teaspoon salt
  7. ¼ teaspoon pepper
  8. ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
  9. ½ teaspoon bay leaves
  10. 2 cubes chicken bouillon
  11. 1 package chicken gravy mix
Directions:

  1. Boil chicken (use enough water to cover chicken pieces entirely) until meat is close to falling off bones. (Typically 1-2 hours.)
  2. Remove chicken pieces from water to cool.
  3. Add seasonings to water and put back onto stove top to continue boiling.
  4. Clean, peel and cube potatoes; slice carrots and celery.
  5. In separate pan, boil vegetables until tender.
  6. Take slightly cooled chicken pieces and remove meat from bones (throw away skin, fat, tendons and bones). (Shrug is healthy - she throws away the skin...sigh!)
  7. Cut chicken meat into bite-sized pieces.
  8. Once vegetables are cooked to tenderness, add them and the chicken pieces to soup mixture.
  9. Turn heat down and allow mixture to simmer.
  10. Fix chicken gravy according to package directions, and add gravy to soup mixture. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes or until soup starts to thicken.
  11. Serve with crackers and/or biscuits.

If you're interested in making this into a chicken and dumplings recipe:
  1. Take one tube of store-bought small biscuits, cut the biscuits into quarters and drop the pieces gently onto the top of the fricassee.
  2. Cover and allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes (without removing lid to spy on them!).
  3. The biscuits will cook through, and expand to cover the top of your fricassee.





Needs a bit of time and some forethought but once again Shrug comes through with a fairly uncomplicated recipe that does not require any gourmet cooking. Therefore I gave it two stars for difficulty. You may want to add Garlic or Onions (preferably fresh) to the chicken while it cooks - if so cut them up real finely. Or add spices from the bottle to your taste. Actually this is one of those recipes you can play with and add veggies etc. especially if you are making the dumplings. Have fun and enjoy!

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.


Comments

B.E. Sanderson said…
I'm all about quick and easy. I like food, and I like to cook, but I don't like to fuss with food. I'm happiest when I can throw everything into a pan and leave it to do its own thing while I sit at my computer writing.

-Shrug

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...