What can I say. Shrug does it again!
Accidents happen. Especially when you're trying to cook while teaching, parenting, etc. Below is a recipe I created from a basic streusel muffin recipe. They turned out pretty good considering I accidentally put the oven on broil instead of bake. A few minutes passed, during which time I was helping my daughter with her schoolwork. Lucky for me, I realized muffins do not make sizzling noises when they're baking, or they would have been a complete loss. Instead, they came out when nice crispy tops. (See variation at the end of the recipe.)
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
- 4 Tablespoons of butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoon butter or margarine (cold, cut into pieces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or use paper baking cups.
- Cream butter with sugar until light yellow and fluffy.
- Beat in egg until almost frothy, then add milk until just blended.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to egg mixture a little at a time until just blended.
- Fold in strawberries (meaning easily add them in a couple at a time)
- Place mixture in muffin cups—until each cup is ¾ full.
- For the topping, place ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut together with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This will prove a bit difficult for some, easier for others. Baking is a whole new ball game. It is a bit more sensitive to heat changes (so don't open your oven every 5 minutes to see if the muffins are on fire or if they ran away with the muffin man!). Since baking and moi are not really good friends, go ahead laugh at my fallen sponge cakes...) I am giving this a three in difficulty though it could be a two for most of you out there!