Coconut Rum Cookies (Submitted)

This was submitted by Shrug from the US (real name withheld on request).

Coconut Rum Cookies
(makes about 36 cookies)

Shrug Writes:
Last Christmas, my daughter and I decided to resume an old family tradition of baking cookies for the holidays. When I was a child, with a slew of siblings, my family always made boatloads of cookies, candies, etc. for the holidays. Now that I have a child of my own, albeit sibling-less, who is old enough to cook, I wanted to carry that tradition forward. So we broke out the big book of cookie recipes, hit a few recipe websites, and came up with a passable variety to try.

Now, I'm the sort of cook who experiments, especially with flavors and seasonings. The recipe below actually called for Almond extract, but we were halfway into mixing when my daughter pointed out our lack of that particular ingredient. (Those cookies were her job; I was in the middle of making no-bakes.) I told her to use whatever other extract we had. She picked the rum extract, and was very excited to be using something as adult as rum in her baking. The end result was a moist and wonderful cookie with just the right hint of the tropical.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

(Editors Note: For people who keep Kosher the ingredients listed below will create Milk (Chalavi) cookies. If you wish to substitute margarine for the butter (I am not a big fan of doing this but if you do you will have Parve Coconut Rum Cookies!)

Ingredients:
  1. 1/2 cup butter (softened)
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. 1 egg
  4. 1 cup unsweetened flake coconut
  5. 1/2 t rum extract
  6. 1 cup flour (sifted)
  7. 1 t baking powder

Cooking Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Centigrade)
Lightly grease baking sheets. (editor: Lightly means VERY lightly. Easy hand with oil or grease is usually a good thing!)
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg. Add coconut and rum extract. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder.
Gradually add dry mixture (ed. the flour and baking powder) to wet mixture, stirring until well combined (editor: smooth and soft).
Use rounded teaspoonfuls to drop the batter onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 9-14 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
Remove from oven and allow to cool briefly (editor: briefly usually means around 5 minutes) on baking sheets before removing from the baking sheets to cool completely.
Editor's Notes
Ease of Making -Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen - 2 Stars
I am giving this two stars also because it requires baking. I have also made some editors additions and corrections here, and I want to point some out to future contributors. People who cook take for granted that someone may know what "cool briefly" means. This is really far from the reality. I had no idea what such a term would mean when starting out. (So I am stupid...duh!) Be as explicit as you can when you submit. "Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen" is for the truly uneducated in the kitchen, as you will see from following posts of mine. And I was an example par-excellance of "truly uneducated"!




Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.


Comments

B.E. Sanderson said…
Many of the recipes I have call for butter, but I hardly ever use it. Margarine works fine and is less expensive. Of course, around my house, we've basically fallen into the habit of referring to margarine as butter.
Anonymous said…
Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...