Beef Stock

As in the previous post, Chicken Stock, Paula now shows us how to the same thing with Beef.

Beef Stock - Ingredients for 8 Cups of Stock
  1. 6 Pounds Beef Short Ribs
  2. 5 Carrots (chopped)
  3. 2 Bunches of Scallions (chopped)
  4. 12 Cups Cold Water
  5. 3 Celery Stalks (chopped)
  6. 5 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
  7. 1 Bay Leaf
  8. 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
  9. 8 Black Peppercorns (whole)
  10. 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme ( or 1 ½ Teaspoons of dried)
  11. 2 Cloves Garlic (smashed but left intact, using a wide metal object such as the back of a knife, lay the knife width across the clove, hold the handle and smack the knife, crushing the clove under it)
  12. 3 Teaspoons Celery Salt
Directions:
  1. Put beef, carrots and scallions in a roasting pan and place in oven at 400 degrees
  2. Brown them for 30 minutes
  3. Drain the fat and add a cup of water, swirl it around to loosen pan drippings.
  4. Pour into large stock pot
  5. Add 11 cups of water to pot, browned beef, carrots, scallions, celery, parsley, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns, thyme, garlic, and celery salt.
  6. Cook on high until boiling
  7. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4 hours
  8. Strain broth and discard the bones, and vegetables.
  9. If you’re using the broth right away, skim off the fat
  10. You can refrigerate and skim off the solidified fat later
It will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator otherwise freeze for later use.

Same notataion as in the post on Chicken Stock. One caveat. Some people really do not like "Thyme". I would leave it out personally. That all depends on taste. If you cook with some kind of planning ahead (not like moi) these recipes are great to have and to use. They certainly help you order your life and say decide to spend a day in the kitchen preparing, baking and whatever, while allowing you the freedom from cooking on other days. However, you need to be a planner for this stuff. Two for difficulty as there really is not a great deal here. The introduction of bay leaves is something I wish to point out. Bay leaves are great for many things and give many stews and meats (and my upcoming cholent recipe) a great taste as well.

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen is a Finalist in the 2007 Weblog Awards.
Click Here to Vote NOW until Feb. 2nd for Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen as the BEST FOOD WEBLOG OF 2007

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen- Weblog Awards

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Submit Your Recipe Or Story
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My KitchenTeddy's Writing Mania


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...