French Toast

When Paula makes French Toast you can be sure it is not going to be plain French Toast!

French Toast

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
  2. 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  3. 2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
  4. 1 Loaf Challah Bread
  5. 5 large eggs
  6. 1 1/2 Cups half-and-half
  7. 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  8. 1 Teaspoon Grand Marnier (Orange Liquer, optional)
  9. Berries for garnish
Directions:
  1. In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over low heat, stirring until smooth.
  2. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
  3. Cut 1-inch-thick slices from center of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts.
  4. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish.
  5. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier until combined well and pour evenly over bread.
  6. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day. Before baking, let bread mixture sit at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
  8. Dust with confectioners sugar and garnish with fruit.



Not difficult but requires planning. The "Challah Bread" that Paula mentions is interesting. Challah is the special bread we use on the Sabbath. It is made in a zillion different ways, from sweet to normal, and has many patterns, round, braided and box. Challah Bread is actually white bread with a few other interesting ingredients, and just comes in a special shape. The Challah is used on the Sabbath with wine to "sanctify" the Sabbath at the Sabbath meals. Traditional Jews require two whole Challot (plural of Challah, which is Hebrew) at each meal over which we recite the traditional blessing of thanking God for giving us bread and then we "break" the Challah and eat at least a piece of it, to begin the meal. Challah has become quite popular.

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen is a Finalist in the 2007 Weblog Awards.
Click Here to Vote NOW until Feb. 2nd for Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen as the BEST FOOD WEBLOG OF 2007

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen- Weblog Awards

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen
Submit Your Recipe Or Story
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My KitchenTeddy's Writing Mania


Comments

In Cambridge Massachusetts, the multi culture mecca of Boston, there is a deli that has been there since 1919. The Edelstein family ran this for many years.

I don't eat out often because I prefer to cook. However on Sundays once in a blue moon, I'll meet friends for breakfast at this deli and the french toast is as close to theirs as I can get it.

The bread is important. I have tried it with others and it just didn't taste right.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...