Some Non-Recipe Thoughts & Announcements

Iam often awed at the number of wonderful emails and comments left at Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen, which of course makes all the work in keeping the blog interesting and funny worthwhile. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to comment or just stop by - and especially those who catch some of my awful spelling mistakes. I really do appreciate the corrections so keep it up!

Ido not see a great many votes coming in for the Cake Recipe Contest. So get your friends and family to vote for you. You can find instructions on how to vote in the post: Great Cake Recipe Contest - Voting Is Now Open. You all should vote and get everyone to vote in this contest. Remember voting is open to all, you did not have to submit a recipe to vote in the contest. So lets get going folks!

Lest you think I do not pay attention to my email at Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen here is something that crossed my inbox today which I think is worthy of putting up here even if does have nothing to do with recipes.



I am from an old old old (should I say that again?) old school where unless given a real good reason otherwise, one should respect the elders in one's life. They are a source of wisdom and knowledge that often there is no substitute for. Perhaps that is a very old fashioned view, and certainly I do not think that every elderly person is nice or wise. A person who is old, is just like one who is young. They are people. Not objects. Not things to be discarded and thrown away. They have their own personalities, and just like all other human beings, an elderly person can be nice, wise, interesting, mean, jealous. In short age does not either make a person a "person". However, we would be remiss in our duty as those who populate this planet if we simply discard the elderly.

Therefore, when an email came through, letting me know that at a website, ElderAbuse.org, they had written up Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen I took a look at the blog. Maybe they highlighted Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen cause they wanted to call me an old codger! But seriously folks, I think this blog, ElderAbuse.org, is extremely important to read. It may teach all of us a thing or two about the elderly and just what is happening to them in our "youth oriented society". I know that since this past week was Holocaust Remembrance Day a great deal of the media focused on the elderly Holocaust survivors and their sometimes very difficult financial conditions. Go take a look at ElderAbuse.org. You just may learn something.

One final announcement. Humor is Humor is Humor. Recently I have been with friends and heard some truly funny dating stories. Once one person started, it seemed that everyone had two or three of these stories in their mind, and they made me roll with laughter. So I got to thinking. (I can think sometimes - albeit rarely.) And I figured we would try a blog on the subject. If you want to submit a story or just read what others are writing mosey over to Dates Out Of Hell and read the submission rules there.

Here is the quote from the header on the blog:
Remember the guy who took you out and spent more time on the cell phone than talking to you? Or that woman who suddenly started singing an opera out loud in the middle of the restaurant? Got to love Blind Dates too! Are you 18 to 80? Single, Divorced, Widowed? Perhaps you are happily Married now but still remember the dating scene and some of those crazy dates you had? Dates Out Of Hell is the place for you to share these stories! Join the fun. And read all about the great DATES OUT OF HELL!
I would love to hear your stories there as well! Check out Dates Out Of Hell!

Comments

Trysha said…
Just a lurker coming out of the woodwork. I really enjoy your blog and everyone who contributes to it. Hot Milk Spongecake recipe rocks my socks!!!!
I've long believed in "It takes a village to raise a child." I feel blessed to have grown up in an "old" diverse neighborhood.

Much of who I am and what I have learned is because of the elders who took the time to share their wisdom with me. Age is not an excuse to be less gracious, however, I think much of the youth are quick to dismiss the elderly in their lives. What a shame.

I spent many afternoons with 90+ year old Mrs. Addleman. I owe her partial thanks for being the Insane cook that I am today.

Of course, many of the people in my neighborhood came from other countries and I thank them for my being able to understand broken English in many languages.

Mr.Tony (I could never pronounce his last name) taught me how to play cribbage (in his thick Italian accent.)

Ms. Papadopolous tried to teach me how to sew on her very prized Singer sewing machine.

It is amazing what can be learned when you take the time to sit on the front porch with an elderly person and just listen.

Ted, again, you touch on something so important and raise awareness of an extremely important issue.

Well done!
B.E. Sanderson said…
Abuse of any sort is absolutely disgusting, and I could spend hours ranting about it, but I won't do that here. Thanks for increasing the world's awareness of this particularly heinous aspect of it, Teddy.

On another note, I probably have some truly awful dating stories for you. I'll see what I can come up with. I've repressed most of them by now. ;o)

Lastly: Thanks, Trysha! I'll pass your comment along to my family. =oD
. said…
OFF TOPIC TO PARENT ARTICLE
This is a really great blog. I will enjoy reading it and learning some new recipes here. But as most of the time I stumble across right things at the wrong time, but this one is worth a hot bookmark.

I checked this blog because of it's catchy name. I had no idea what I am about to read.

Eagerly waiting for my next visit to grab some yummy recipe.

Congrats Ted!
Deborah Dowd said…
Congratulations Teddy on BoN! This is clearly your year! I am glad you are bringing attention to elder abuse, a growing problem for those in the "sandwich" (taking care of kids and parents) generation. Society needs to provide additional support for failies dealing with what can be an incredible strain. And we need to change our society's youth fixation!
merhaba çok güzel site olmuş
very betifull

my adress:
http://sadberk.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...