Beef Stew

Here is an interesting and great recipe from Paula:
Another easy, one pot dish. I am sure Ted will try and make up for the several ratings of One he has had to issue to me lately and I am guessing he will rate this at least a three .. but honestly, it is easy and delicious. Jam packed with flavor and vegetables. Beef Stew ( or steak soup as my child calls it)
Beef Stew




Utensils you will need:
  1. Large Skillet
  2. Large Bowl for vegetables
  3. Small Bowl to dredge beef cubes ( coat beef w/flour)
Ingredients:
  1. 2 Pounds Boneless Beef or Sirloin Steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
  2. 5 Tablespoons Flour
  3. 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
  4. 3 Cups Beef Stock (homemade or store bought)
  5. 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
  6. 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  7. 1 Tablespoon Thyme
  8. 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
  9. 1 Cup of Water
  10. 5 Cups cut up Vegetables ( I use a mix of carrots, green beans, celery, squash, onions, baby corn) approx. a cup of each
  11. 4-6 Potatoes ( I use red potatoes for this) cut into 1/2" pieces
Directions:
  1. Coat steak cubes with flour (this is called dredging)
  2. Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
  3. Add steak cubes, 1/2 at a time; brown on all sides. Continue until all beef is cooked
  4. Return all steak cubes to skillet.
  5. Add Beef Stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, sugar, Thyme and water to skillet
  6. Simmer on low for 15 minutes
  7. Add vegetables; bring to boil.
  8. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Nope this is a two. Paula you are slipping. Must be all that Baseball on your brain. Yet it is a great recipe for meat stew. Expensive though. But it should taste great. I would add either black or white pepper though. Like half a teaspoon or so, but such is the palate. (Thanks to violainvilnius, owner of the "Music and Life - Everywhere!" blog, who left a comment pointing out the misspelling of palate - palette! Sheesh what a mistake.)

Comments

violainvilnius said…
the palette or the palate? ;-)
As usual, you keep me guessing with the ratings! Just when I think I have you figured out.

Of course you can season to taste as you like. Pepper is a great addition to this dish.

Depending on how many you are feeding, you could get a couple of meals from this as well which would make it not too expensive.
Ted Gross said…
I must keep you guessing..otherwise what fun would there be! :D
Matt Bardeen said…
Interesting. I have a Guinness Stew recipe that is almost the same as this. Besides the Guinness, it uses green peppercorns which gives the stew an extra kick. Chop them up, toss them in. I bet you'll like it!
Poulet S.A. said…
Thanks for the recipe.
I'll try soon...
We don't eat beef so I have to change to chicken or..other meat! lol ;))
Soulsearcher said…
Great website! I think I'll try this recipe. Soups and stews are my favorite.
Thank you.
Anonymous said…
i'd use a chuck roast (much cheaper than sirloin). and since you've got to cut it into cubes anyway, buying an extra 1/4 lb of bone-in chuck is often cheaper than buying boneless.

paula, your skillet must be huge! i'd have said about a 3-4qt stew pot/dutch oven pot instead. i'm not sure i could fit all of that even in my 15" cast aluminium skillet. (do the math - 2lbs meat+1qt liquid+about 1 1/2qt of veggies)

teddy, i think paula figured on a 3 because of having to cut up the meat and veggies... pretty labor intensive.

great recipe paula!
p.s. i'd add some burgundy wine with (or instead of part of) the water. i just happen to like the extra flavor it gives, but i know some people don't.
Kali,
Burgundy wine is a great addition and adds a nice body to this stew. I posted the general recipe for which I play with each time I make it. As for the skillet, hehe, I have an all clad 4 quart which seems to grow to suit my needs :)

Paula

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...