In continuing our "Grandma (Bubby) Sarah Video Series Of Passover Recipes", originally sent to us by Michael Schreiber, (Production Director of tv360.tv, which seems to be a new Internet startup. The videos are served from realmeals.tv, part of tv360.tv, which also owns realhealth.tv which is about healthy lifestyles and living.) we now have the great Potato Kugel. This recipe is a gem! Use it! (What is quoted below is the recipe in the video. To see my changes look at Teddy's Note Below the recipe)
Click here if the video above will not play in your browser
(You do require Flash Player Installed)
- Food Processor or KitchenAid.
- Aluminum Pan
- 3 Large Onion
- 10 Idaho Potatoes
- 6 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups of Matzah Meal
- Rough Cop 2.5 onions
- Fry them in Oil
- Cut the Potatoes and then Grind them in the food processor
- Grind the remaining 1/2 onion and put that together
- Add 5-6 eggs
- Mix thouroughly
- Add the fried onions & Mix
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the pan covered with oil on the bottom for around 5 minutes
- Take the pan out of the oven and put the kugel mixture inside laying it out evenly.
- Place back in oven on 450 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Turn down oven to 375 degrees F for approx. 1 and 3/4 hours.
Grandma Sarah rough chops 2.5 onions and then fries them until brown.
She grinds the other 1/2 onion and puts it directly into the kugel. You may want to just skip the "frying" process and get it all the Kugel. Since the Kugel itself does have lots of oil to begin with, this may be something you may want to do. When you have the Kugel in the oven, my experience tells me to cover the pan with silver foil so that the top does not burn and it cooks evenly. Once it is done, remove the silver foil on top and bake for another 10 minutes to have a golden top if you do not have one already. Watch that kugel! Do not overcook it nor undercook. You will need to either taste it or use a fork (or toothpick).