Lamb Kabob

Paula sent this one in. I never cease to be amazed how those not used to this dish consider it almost a delicacy. In the Middle East "Kabob" is really a basic staple and can refer to a myriad of different meats, prepared in a thousand different ways. By the way, I laughed when I read Paula's advice below about soaking the wooden skewers in water. We use them all the time, never soak them, and never had a problem. But then again - with Paula her kitchen might very well burst into flames! She writes:
I have jokingly asked for an outdoor kitchen. Of course in New England that would be difficult. I love to cook outdoors when the weather turns warm.

When I make Kabobs for the BBQ, I prepare theme the night before to allow the marinade to seep into the meat and vegetables.

Remember, if you use wooden skewers, SOAK them in water for half an hour before you fill them or they will go up in flames. Trust me, I have a sister who forgot to do this and we laughed while we watched the skewers disintegrate.

Lamb Kabobs



Paula sent the above picture in

Utensils You will need:
  1. Approx . 14 – 16 Skewers
  2. 2 Bowls
  3. Whisk
Ingredients:
  1. 1 1/2 Pounds of Lamb Cubed (approx 1” each)
  2. 4 Bell Peppers, mix of Red, Yellow and Green , seeded,cut into squares
  3. 14 - 16 Small Chili Peppers
  4. 1 Zucchini , unpeeled, cut into 1/2 “ circles or cubed
  5. 1 Yellow squash , unpeeled, cut into 1/2 “ circles or cubed
  6. 30 Pearl Onions
  7. 5 Jalepeno Peppers cut in half
Marinade:
  1. 3 ounces Zinfandel Wine
  2. 3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  3. 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  4. 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Basil
Variations:
  1. Add any vegetables you like
  2. Use store bought vinaigrette in place of homemade marinade
  3. Use Sherry Wine in place of Zinfandel
  4. Can be cooked in the broiler instead of grilling
Directions:
  1. Place the Lamb and cut peppers into a bowl and set aside
  2. Whisk the ingredients for the marinade until blended
  3. Pour over Lamb and peppers
  4. Cover and chill over night
  5. When you are ready cook them, arrange pieces on the skewers, alternate meat and vegetables. Plan 3 cubes of meat per skewer.
  6. Grill for 12 – 14 minutes, turning them frequently.
  7. Broil for 12-14 minutes

The really important thing about this recipe is the way Paula suggests to marinade the meat. That is obviously the trick in all these recipes. You can use any veggies you like, but the way the meat is prepared, as in all other meat recipes is the trick. Some use wine, I have a friend who uses Vodka actually. Others use some "secret family sauce recipe". But if you are doing real lamb, remember, lamb is a very tender meat and thus it will seep up all the marination very fast. Try not to use something which changes or hides the taste of the meat.

Comments

You keep laughing, that's ok with me.

Honest, my sister used wooden skewers, fresh out of the package, unsoaked and they went up in flames. I laughed then.

I use metal skewers because they are reusable and stronger.

Keep laughing, it's good for the soul..
Girlie said…
I like eating kabob. I don't like to cook it, nor am I even slightly motivated to try. Of course it has nothing to do with the last time I tried and a fire man had to put out my electric over fire. I am NOT traumatize by that even. I mean, I still order that stuff in a restaurant.
Anonymous said…
delicious i love kabob
emmasyrup said…
What's the difference between grilling and broiling?

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...