No-Bake Non-Dairy Raspberry Pie

Paula thinks we are going to give her a one-star here for difficulty...shhh...let us see how well she did with this recipe. She also gives us a personal view of her insane kitchen and cooking methods. Well here is what the insane cook sent Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen this time and once again we enter our Pie Fight!


Paula Writes:
Kids In The Kitchen

While I’m packing up my kitchen for the upcoming move, I have come across many things that made me smile at the memories. I have 1 daughter, 12 nephews, 1 niece, 2 great nephews and a great niece. I won’t bore you with all of them, but I wish to share just a few special stories.

A few things to keep in mind when allowing your children to help in the kitchen.

1) There will be a much larger mess to clean up in the end, but the bonding will more than make up for it.

2) You will be giving your child/children skills to survive on as they grow

3) You will create some very interesting dishes and feel giddy when you actually like them

4) Things will burn, boil over and spill. You will laugh until you cry, in a good way.

5) Sometimes peanut butter on marshmallows with raisins IS a complete meal, especially when you cut them into cute shapes.

6) Be careful with hot surfaces, sharp objects (I have cut my thumb nearly off), and hot liquid.

7) Laugh and have fun

My nephew Bobby, who is now a grown man, spent much of his childhood with me. He used to love to cook with Auntie. I recently came across his little, battery operated electric mixer, child sized measuring cups and wooden spoons, cut to his size, and small mixing bowls. When he was a toddler, he would sit in his high chair and cook along with me. I would give him flour, sugar, water and raisins and tell him to make Irish Bread for me. Of course, we ended up with more of the ingredients on the floor but the smile on his little face was something I will never forget... As he grew, his cooking skills became enough to fend for himself when needed.

My daughter has no interest in the kitchen, despite having grown up in the insane kitchen and having her own appliances to work with. She preferred a tool box like daddy’s complete with hammer, nails, wood and a level. Once in a blue moon, she will say “Mommy, let’s make something. Of course, even if it’s late at night, I don’t refuse. I so want her to find a love of the kitchen. This past Saturday, Hailey and Bobby were hanging out in the kitchen with me, before I knew it, they both had started cutting up fruit, shredding cheese and dicing up veggies with me without even realizing they were cooking. We laughed and chatted for a few hours and the result was a great meal.

Brandon is my seven year old nephew. He loves to help me in the kitchen and reminds me of the times I spent with Bobby. Brandon’s favorite is Banana Bread. Each time he visits, he will ask if we can make it, even when I have no bananas. Recently, we took a short vacation together, I being the person I am, always make sure I have accommodations with a kitchen. Yes, even on vacation! I took Brandon to the market with me. He passed all the pre packaged treats and headed for the produce. Imagine how proud I was of this seven year old wonder as he picked out fresh fruit because he wanted to cook with his aunt and make a fruit salad. I guess after many times watching me, he felt confident enough to pick out the perfect melons and such.

I enjoyed sitting with him and talking while we made that evening’s dessert. I feel anytime a child spends in the kitchen is a life skill’s learning experience.

Some will have a natural ability; others will find it an effort. It does not matter, either way; they will gather enough information to prepare a healthy meal while creating wonderful memories along the way...

Ta-Da!

This is sure to get me a rating of one.. since there is NO BAKING!! and this is delicious and low fat.

Summertime calls for many meals to be served outdoors. I will try to gather some fairly easy pack and go meals to share with you.

No-Bake Non-Dairy Raspberry Pie




Utensils You will need:
  1. One Bowl
  2. One Electric Mixer
  3. One Spoon
  4. Rubber Spatula
  5. A great book to read with all the time you save in the kitchen
  6. A tall tree to sit under while reading.
Ingredients:
  1. One Chocolate Pie crust ( store bought, yes, I cheat on occasion but can produce a recipe for a homemade crust)
  2. 1 Package Sugar Free Instant White Chocolate pudding mix (do not prepare, just mix in dry)
  3. 1 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk (Carnation instant for instance) *Make sure the "milk" is labeled non-dairy otherwise you will turn this into a milk recipe!
  4. 1 Cup Water
  5. 2 Cups Mini Marshmallows
  6. 2 Cups Lite Non Dairy Whipped topping ( such as Cool Whip or store brand)
  7. 1 – 2 Pints Raspberries (slice ½, reserve the rest for garnish.) (quantity depends on personal taste, this insane cook loves berries)
Variations:
  1. Substitute Vanilla Pudding or Lemon
  2. Add or exchange berries with Blueberries, Cranberries, Strawberries, Blackberries
  3. Add Sliced Banana
Directions:
  1. Pour Water into bowl
  2. Add Dry Milk and Pudding
  3. Mix well to blend
  4. With rubber spatula, fold whipped topping into mix
  5. Fold in Marshmallows
  6. Fold in Berries
  7. Garnish top with whole Berries ( you can use multiple berries for brilliant color)
  8. Cover loosely and chill for an hour.
*Just a note here - Remember to put it into the crust! Me thinks Paula forgot that itty bitty piece of information!


O.K. Sheesh we will give it a 1 star. But it is easy and sounds delicious. And I love berries all types. Be careful what type of milk substitute you use - if you are aiming for a "parve" (non-dairy) pie.

Comments

*let's see if we can cover with this story*

I left that last part out on purpose, just as a test to see if you would give it a good read through.

*Do you think he's buying it?*
Anonymous said…
lol, don't bet on it, paula.

i love your stories about kids in the kitchen! i started gravitating to the kitchen and learning to cook at an early age, so i've tried to pass along at least some of that knowledge to my "kids" (non of my own, but step, foster and ones i babysat for.) i remember one night when i had the 7 & 9 yr olds i babysat for, and the 6 yr old from upstairs came to spend time with them. mel and rex knew enough by then that they were able to prepare a simple supper with just a bit of supervision from me. (i think it was canned something and a salad), but they did it all themselves and mireille (the 6 yr old) watched in awe and was soon an eager student in my kitchen herself.

i was very saddened when my newly acquired 11 yr old step-daughter came to visit and had no clue whatsoever at all what a measuring cup or measuring spoon was! her mother had never allowed her to cook anything at all. so you can imagine how proud she was when, a few months later, after watching and helping me, she was able to make a "hamburger helper-type" meal all on her own! (moi? follow the instructions on the package? not hardly, i always doctor and add things, and she did the same.) it was a delicious meal!
Deborah Dowd said…
Food is such an important part of family life and getting together over a meal, or baking cookies, or cooking on the grill can be a great way to come together even at times when there is little common ground (need I say it... teens and preteens). This recipe looks great, easy and light and something my girls could make themselves!
Kali,

Being a foster parent, you will appreciate this. I was a foster mom for a year. You know the difficulty the children have adjusting to a new home. One little girl I had with me had many issues, one being that she was spanish and her skin differed in color from mine. When she first arrived, she would not allow herself to get involved with family times. One rule I have is everyone comes to the dinner table, even if you refuse to eat.

I strongly believe dinner time is the one meal each day to be taken as a family and talk,share stories and bond as a family.

It took her a few weeks,but eventually she came to enjoy the time spent helping in the kitchen.
Daphne said…
I love to cook. I also love to cook something that can be whipped up in a hurry. I enjoyed the comment about "putting the pie in the crust." Good point.

What I'd like to know is what size pudding pkg to use: i.e. Large or Small. Please post the answer. It sounds like a super yummy recipe.
Daphne

I use a large pudding mix for the pies. You can play with this recipe and come up with many flavors.
Anonymous said…
Non-dairy does NOT mean "milk-free" This is a misleading name for this recipe. Cool-whil DOEs have ingrediants made from Milk solids. So does Dry-milk.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...