Grilled Chicken Pieces

In a way I feel a bit funny about writing this recipe down. I mean, EVERYONE knows how to barbecue. Right? And it is truly easy. You don't get easier.

Of course you do. You take out the meat, chicken, chicken wings and dump them on the grill. Then you let the grill do the rest.

I am not saying this is a difficult recipe. Nor am I implying it is something out there. But I happen to know quite a few people who would not know how to do this if their life depended on it. And as I always say Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen is about REAL PEOPLE, REAL COOKING & REAL MEALS.

So what happens if the kids is in a really bad mood, (13 year olds get that way) and you really do not want to shop and cook up a storm, and you KNOW he loves the barbecue taste... but you really do not want to heat up the grill for a few pieces of chicken and just for two people?

What to do? What to do?

YOU CHEAT!!!! THAT IS WHAT YOU DO!

So we are having a really SMALL dinner tonight. Two people for the Sabbath Friday night dinner. And I really DO NOT WANT TO COOK TODAY!

So I go into my near empty freezer - dig out some chicken wings and some chicken legs that I bought frozen and let them defrost. Now comes the easy part.

Grilled Chicken Pieces


Utensils:
  1. An Oven Pan
  2. A Big Fork
Ingredients:
***All spices are from bottles - no fresh stuff. Of course if you want to work the week after Passover in the kitchen just go ahead and use the fresh stuff!
  1. Chicken wings, chicken legs, meat whatever you usually put on the grill
  2. Olive Oil (stop saying .. there he goes again with the Olive Oil!)
  3. Garlic Powder
  4. Basil
  5. Chicken Grill Spice (Pick up in any supermarket!)
  6. Edited After: Honey
Directions:
  1. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the olive oil
  2. Now sprinkle that Chicken Spice very liberally all over. (It is usually an orange brown spice but you should have something FRESH)
  3. Sprinkle a bit of Garlic powder.
  4. Some Basil as well
  5. Pour some honey - just a bit on the chicken pieces...
  6. Lay them out in the oven pan and put your oven on 180° Celsius 350° Fahrenheit)
  7. Preheat the oven
  8. Let them cook 20 minutes and then turn em over and sprinkle the Chicken spice again - liberally.
  9. Your kitchen and house should smell of near barbecue chicken now!
Keep them warm until you eat the chicken!

Oh yeah! Did I forget to mention that I made rice too? My hot rice concoction! Well next time the recipe for this will appear!

Remember this is just for 2 people so not a great deal of food! (Thank GOD!)

This is the Chicken when dumped from the oven. Not laid out pretty. Sorry. No patience today!



And this is the Rice all alone. Not completely done. We leave a bit of water in it, as it bakes in the oven. (But that is another secret for another time!)



Even Paula will have to admit this is easy!!!!! Gets Two for difficulty cause you got to put it in the oven and watch the clock! Seriously easy. Seriously swift. Serious good. Serious way to stay out of the kitchen when you just ain't in the mood! (I forgot to put in the honey at the beginning. So those who have seen this recipe - add the honey as well!)

Comments

I suppose I could learn a bit of simplicity from you Ted.

Nice on the cheat bbq.. of course sometimes it's a must with bad weather. I am NOT standing out in the snow for anyone while cooking grilled food.

This chicken , even though dumped from the oven as you say, looks delicious. I love chicken..

I will give you a one for difficulty though because it is one pan and really quite simple...

Stop laughing...
Snowly said…
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VISIT MINE!!! THANX!
Anonymous said…
Well done. I like your blog. Speak soon. A.
Eva Burton-Wood said…
I'm always on the look out for a good chef... of course there wouldn't be any pay, you would jbe doing it just for the love of it.
Ted Gross said…
Paula: You must be getting senile. A 1 for difficulty! Be still my beating heart!

Eva:
There is no pay now either! As for a good chef... you could probably find with little work much better chefs though. However, one can be convinced to do a great deal for love... is that not true?

Teddy
Ted Gross said…
Eva:

I almost forgot...sheesh..

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW JOB!
Nabeel said…
the food not just supposed to taste good, it's supposed to look good too .. u should work on your displaying.
Ted Gross said…
nabeel:

You are 10000% right. The picture of the chicken pieces should not have gone up. However, though I did not say this in the post, I promised my son who took the pictures that I would publish them. So it was a choice I had to make. I went for not disappointing my son, though I totally admit that it is not a good picture. (as I said in the original post)

In the future I will make sure the pics that do go up are more "pleasing" to the eye.
But thank you for your comment. It is appreciated.
Even though Nabeel is right as far as the displaying of the food, the picture you displayed does help the novice cook. When someone is just starting to brave the kitchen, this will encourage them as well because their first few dishes may not turn out pretty, but the will be edible.

Just MHO
Brian said…
Hi Ted.
I agree with Paula. While the pics may not be "cookbook/magazine" worthy, they are however useful for the average cook-at-home user. People appreciate honesty. Nice job!
Deborah Dowd said…
Ihope that people will not judge my food, or my blog by the quality of my pictures!While it is my goal to gradually improve their quality, I am a writer and a cook(albeit unpaid!), not a photographer.

... and I think you made the right decision about posting the picture... priorities, Teddy, priorities!

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...