We have not heard from Shrugged in a while...well here she is - back and ready with her baking genius.
I ran across a recipe for Lemon Bread the other day, and after I tweaked it a bit, came up with this recipe. 'Lemon Bread' was a misnomer anyway - it's much more like cake than bread, but it's baked in a 8" x 4" loaf pan, so it's not really cake either. It has about the same consistency and texture as pound cake, and can be served by itself or with ice cream. It also makes a nice treat to have with coffee or tea.
1. ½ cup butter or margarine (softened)
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 2 eggs
4. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
5. 1 ½ cups flour
6. 1 teaspoon baking powder
7. 1/8 teaspoon salt
8. ½ cup milk
1. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
2. ½ cup confectioner's sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease one 8x4" loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
4. Beat in eggs and lemon juice.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
6. Add flour mixture alternately with milk until all ingredients are combined.
7. Pour into prepared pan.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven.
10. While loaf is cooling in pan, combine glaze ingredients – stirring until smooth.
11. Once bread has cooled for approximately 10-15 minutes, turn bread out onto a plate and drizzle with glaze.
12. Allow to cool completely – so glaze sets.
13. Slice into ¼-½" portions and serve.
Especially if you have a bread baking machine this is a great recipe. This does not take a long time though you have to remember the glaze at the end. I happen to love anything with lemon it... You can buy my soul with a great Lemon-Meringue Pie! I like this recipe, but expected no less from Shrugged. I vacillate between 2 & 3 stars for difficulty, but since the batter takes work, there is baking and timing invloved, am going to give this one a three.