Paula writes (and for her sake I sure hope her sister never reads this blog!):
Ah the holidays!! The non cooking sister decided to host dinner this year. Mind you, she has the biggest heart and the best intentions in the world. She also has the busiest schedule known to humankind. In order to actually cook dinner, one would have to be near a kitchen, right?Penne Pasta with Grilled Vegetables
She dropped by my house two days before Christmas to go over the menu she was planning. I found this humorous; she is the one with only cereal and peanut butter in the cabinets. We got her shopping list together and decided 1:00 would be a good time for dinner. One day before Christmas, she came by my house again, this time to shop for the ingredients. Yes, I knew this would happen, and therefore I was prepared. As she left with her shopping bags, I laughed and told her if she pulled this off, I would never doubt her again.
Christmas morning at 11:00 a.m. Patty called, “We should have just planned on brunch; it would have been so much easier. What time should I get started?”
She was expecting 27 people in 2 hours and she hadn’t even STARTED !!!
Yes, she thanked me when I showed up 10 minutes later with several dishes I had made ahead of time. And yes this was our secret, none of the others knew…..
- 1 lb Penne Pasta
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme (minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Basil
- 1 Cup Diced Tomato
- 1 Zucchini (cut in ½ length wise, then chopped into pieces)
- 1 Yellow (Summer Squash) ( cut in ½ length wise, then chopped)
- 5 Scallions
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Grated Romano Cheese for Garnish
- In small bowl, combine Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, & Pepper
- Stir to mix.
- In large bowl, combine diced Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Scallions and Tomato
- Pour Oil mixture over vegetables, turn to coat.
- Place in shallow roasting pan and cook on broil for 25 minutes,(until tender) turning veggies occasionally.
- Cook pasta and drain
- Toss grilled vegetables with pasta
- Top with Fresh Grated Romano Cheese.
I give this two with guilt - because of the frying and need for spices and veggies. Otherwise this is incredibly simple.