I have an evil tendency, but it’s for a good reason. Some of my hungry family insist they despise spinach and would never eat it. Yeah right! I say, if you can pass it off as parsley they will. This dish goes great as a side with Chicken or Fish.Long Grain Wild Rice & Spinach
- 2 Cups Long Grain Wild Rice
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock (homemade or purchased)
- 3 Scallions, chopped fine
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Spinach, chopped ( make it look like parsley and they will never know)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Italian Green Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Basil ( 1 teaspoon if jarred)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Heat Oil in deep fry pan over medium heat.
- Saute Scallions, Garlic, Spinach, Carrots & Pepper until tender, approx 5 -8 minutes.
- Add Rice, Chicken stock and stir until blended.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid dissipates, stirring occasionally.
- When liquid is gone, add basil and stir.
- Remove from heat and serve.
When I was a kid I used to watch Popeye and of course got hooked on spinach for a year or so. When I realized spinach did not give me a Mr. World Body, I dumped it. Spinach UGH! But I rediscovered spinach in these past few years, and fresh spinach in many dishes is really good and tasty.