No-Bake Chocolate "Mousse" Pie

Kali submitted another one. This time a PIE! (Paula WATCH OUT!)
I'm glad you liked the beef and cabbage soup recipe. A lot of my recipes definitely are not kosher, I like ham and I like cream of something soups with some of my meat dishes. But I noticed you don't have very many pie recipes, so I thought you might like this one. It's definitely dairy.

About 30 odd years ago my grandmother attended a luncheon where the hostess served a very light and delicious chocolate pie for dessert. Helen was happy to share the recipe... no baking and only three (3) ingredients!! now how simple can you get?!? I was living with my grandparents at the time, so a few days later Grandmom and I decided to make the pie. Oh dear!! We ended up with chocolate soup pie! Fortunately, a few hours in the freezer got the "soup" to "set", but although it tasted just fine, it was missing the light texture it was meant to have. I realized that one rather key step had been omitted from the preparation instructions... cooling the melted chocolate. I have since made this pie many times and it's turned out perfectly.
No-Bake Chocolate "Mousse" Pie

Utensils:
  1. bowl and mixer
  2. double boiler OR glass microwave bowl
Ingredients:
  1. Prepared graham cracker pie crust
  2. 1/2 lb Hershey's chocolate with almond bar
  3. 1/2 pint whipping cream
Instructions:
  1. Break chocolate bar into pieces and melt, either by:
    • A double boiler on the stove top OR:
    • In a glass bowl in the microwave - uncovered at 50% power for about 3 - 4 1/2 mins, stirring after 2 1/2 mins.
  2. Stir till smooth and set aside to cool. (until the melted chocolate becomes dull not shiny and isn't too hot to touch)
  3. Whip cream until stiff
  4. Combine the whipped cream and melted chocolate and pour into the pie crust
  5. Refrigerate 1-2 hours before serving
The key to a light and fluffy pie is to make sure that the melted chocolate is cooled enough that it doesn't "melt" the whipped cream. Can also be made with a plain chocolate bar (for those who dislike almonds), and I suppose a fruit/nut-type chocolate bar could also be used.

Let's see. If I give this a one, Paula will go berserk and Paula and Beth will go on strike. Mmmmm... decisions - decisions. Nope a Two it is cause well because I want to keep my head on my shoulders and it does involve nuking or melting on a stove and timing. (We also have to keep Paula and Beth happy!) Before we get to the pie - a few words from moi! - Kali you will find, and I say this with pride that a great many people who submit recipes here are not kosher nor Jewish. It is amazing. So feel free to submit anything you like - (O.K. none of the ham or frogs legs...sheesh!)

And now I got news for all of you, especially Kali. The pie above is Dairy...BUT guess what? Use a grade A chocolate which is Bittersweet and usually thus not made with milk products and a non-dairy Whipped Cream and Voila! - Parve Pie! (But you have to like that type of chocolate of course!)

Comments

shalom...i just found you and love your blog...yahooooo...stay safe...wanna know my gorgeous white chocolate cheese cake recipe???
Ted Gross said…
Marallyn..

Of course we want your recipe!
You should enter it into the Great Cake Recipe Contest. Great Cake Recipe Contest Rules

Send in any recipes you like!
Glad to have you aboard!

Teddy
B.E. Sanderson said…
=op

You have to give it a two because you cook it. Dontcha?

BTW, I didn't know you could include cheesecake in the cake recipe contest. I'm gonna give you such a pinch. ;o)

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...