Here is one from Paula - Lemon Meringue Pie:
Lemons are one of the most versatile fruits on earth. From cleaning to cooking, this is one item I try never to run out of. There are several options to making this pie.
You can buy canned Lemon Pie filling and a prepared pie crust, purchased at the market, and just add the meringue topping. This is the easy, cheat way to make it.
You can semi-cheat and use the prepared pie crust and make the filling and meringue and it would be less cheating and you will be pleased with the outcome.
Or… you could make the entire pie from scratch and be the envy of your guests for such a terrific dessert.
Either way, you will enjoy it.
Using the Pie Crust Recipe I submitted previously, prepare the crust and bake it. (This recipe for pie crust can be found by clicking here.)
Once you have the Pie Crust Recipe...here is for the rest of the Lemon Meringue Pie.
Utensils you will need:
- Two Large Bowls
- 1 Medium sauce pan
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 7 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 Large Eggs , Separated (Reserve the whites for meringue.)
***Eggs at room temp separate easier
- 1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice ( approx 1 ½ to 2 Lemons)
- 3 Tablespoons Freshly Grated Lemon Zest (the rind of the lemons)
- In one bowl, whisk egg yolks.
- Set aside
- In a saucepan, whisk together, sugar, cornstarch and salt
- Gradually add water and condensed milk, continue to whisk
- Whisk until cornstarch dissolves
- Continue to cook over medium heat until it starts to boil.
- Gradually whisk about 1 cup of cooked mixture with Yolks which you set aside in a bowl.
- Continue cooking on simmer the remaining mixture while whisking, for about 3 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in the margarine, lemon juice and zest until mixed well.
- Pour into cooked pastry shell.
Utensils you will need:
- Electric Mixer
- One Bowl
- 4 Large Egg Whites (reserved from filling. If you bought the filling and need to use whites only, reserve the yolks to make an egg sandwich, never waste)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Beat egg whites on high until they peak.
- Gradually add small amounts of sugar, while beating.
- Spread Egg white mixture over the top of the lemon filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the meringue turns a golden brown.
- You must watch carefully as they can burn in an instant.
- Approx 5 -10 minutes and it should be perfect.
- Chill for at least 3 hours and serve.
This is so worth it...but so gets a 5 stars for difficulty. Good Lemon Meringue Pie is very difficult to make anywhere near perfect. You need to watch it, to whisk the batter, be careful with the heat, bake....everything that demands concentration and good baking habits. But it is worth it in the end! This is a milk recipe due to the addition of condensed milk, however find a good non-dairy substitute - cause great Lemon Meringue Pie is also available as a non-dairy pie as well!