Lemon Squares

This one is submitted by the familiar Shrug from the US:

Lemon Squares

I like the recipe and I also like the way Shrug tells us a story with it. That is the best. Stories that go with the cooking.

Background:

Cooking for your child is an important task, but so, too, is the task of teaching your child to cook. Someday they'll have a family of their own, and the skills they learn now will be used to feed your grandchildren.

My daughter is thirteen, and slowly over the past few years, I've been giving her little things to cook. We started out with the very basics - boiling water for noodles, for example - and graduated slowly to higher, more complicated recipes. (As I said in my recipe for Coconut Rum cookies, those cookies were her job during the monumental bake-a-thon last year.) When I was a kid, my family was so large, and I was so much younger than the rest of my siblings, no one bothered to teach me to cook. By necessity, I taught myself. Now, I'm making sure my child doesn't have to go through that harrowing process (complete with burned potatoes, small kitchen fires, and flat chewy cakes which were supposed to be light and spongy).

Today's recipe is one handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me and one I will happily pass along to my child when she creates a home of her own. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all have over the years.


Ingredients:

Crust:
  1. 2 cups flour
  2. 1 cup butter (softened)
  3. ½ cup powdered sugar

Filling:
  1. 4 eggs
  2. 2 cups sugar
  3. 1 teaspoons baking powder
  4. 5 Tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream together butter and powdered sugar until thoroughly mixed. Stir in flour until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
  3. While crust is baking, beat together remaining ingredients until light and frothy.
  4. Remove pan from oven and, while still hot, pour filling onto crust.
  5. Return pan to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until filling is slightly browned. (Do not overbake.)






Great, tasty recipe. Easy as pie or in this case, Lemon Squares. One star for difficulty. Shrug's recpies are consistently easy and great. Look forward to many more from her and her kitchen.

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen



Don't Be Shy. Leave A Comment Below.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree that teaching your kids how to cook is important, and your lemon square recipe is a good start. I have always loved lemon squares ever since I was a girl; mom and I used to make them together. I have her recipe, but I love trying other ones too. I will definitely try this one. There is a good one on http://www.fortheloveofbaking.com. I made them with my little girl and they were excellent!

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...