Beef and Cabbage Soup

Something New From Someone New. Kali writes:
I really like "one pot" meals, and am always on the look-out for that kind of recipes. Unfortunately, many of them aren't really "one pot", and they're complicated. So when my step-mom saw this recipe on a TV program about 20 yrs ago and scribbled it down then made it, it was so yummy, I really wanted the recipe. I usually make it as a supper on a cold winter evening, but have served it to "company", and even my grandfather (who was initially shocked that i was serving "soup" as a main course to "company", decided that it really was a good meal and enjoyed it very much.)
Beef and Cabbage Soup

Utensils Required:
  1. 1. grater or food processor
  2. 2. large stew pot

Ingredients:
  1. 5 lbs ground beef
  2. 5 onions, chopped (or less to taste)
  3. 3 quarts canned whole tomatoes
  4. 1 lb carrots, shredded
  5. 4 cans beef consommé
  6. 2 small heads green cabbage, chopped coarsely
  7. salt, pepper, ground oregano, ground nutmeg
Preparation:
  1. Brown ground beef and onions in stew pot over low heat on the stove. (unless you have extra extra lean ground beef, you probably won't need any oil, but if necessary, add 1-2 Tbs cooking oil)
  2. Add tomatoes (with juice), carrots and beef consommé
  3. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add salt (about 1-2 tsp, or to taste), ground pepper to taste, ground oregano (about 3-4 tsp), and nutmeg (about 1tsp)
  5. Add cabbage
  6. Stir well, cover and simmer an additional 45-60 minutes until cabbage is tender. (may adjust seasonings at the end, i tend to under season then add some more at the end.)
  7. Serve in bowls.
This soup not only freezes well, but it always tastes better to me the 2nd day after the flavors have had a chance to blend. (just stick the whole pot in the fridge if you can, and reheat it on the stove.) Recipe can also be halved.

I serve it with crusty french bread or rolls and maybe a green salad. For those who don't keep Kosher, grated Swiss cheese on top is a very tasty addition.
Kali Added This In A Later Email:
I meant to send you this comment earlier... I rarely follow any recipe "exactly". A "recipe", to me, is a guideline, but unless it's a cake which does call for exact measurements (or it'll fall flat), I make things up as I go along and alter things to my own tastes.

I do tend to add garlic to almost anything (as appropriate...lol.) to the point where it's so second nature to me that I neglected to add that as an optional ingredient for the beef and cabbage soup. (it wasn't on the original recipe card where i wrote down the recipe...lol)

A couple other optional ingredients are a few stalks of celery (chopped and added with the carrots) or some hearty red wine (added with the consomme).

Or you can use a cheese substitute! Easy to make and it is a main dish actually. Heavy and filling. Gets a two for difficulty. Would add a garlic to the recipe as well. I would call this a "stew" and if you make it thick and rich it certainly is a "stew" BUT it is technically "soup" at the beginning. Thank you Kali for a great easy recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...