Five-Layer Bars

This one from Shrug who is now in Kitchen heaven.

Shrug Writes:
It is time again for holiday cookies, and while I am aware cookies aren't a big part of everyone's holiday season, they have always held a special memory for me of family and my childhood—two things that hopefully we all hold in common, no matter what holidays we may celebrate. I do this with the hope my own daughter will have memories she can treasure long after I am gone.

Today we've begun the month-long bake-a-thon. The first cookies on the list are five-layer bars and peppermint cookies. I'll be passing along recipes as time and baking creations allow.

The Five-Layer Bars are so simple to make it seems impossible that this is the first year I've tried to make them myself. Please note, they are a dairy dish. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for the sweetened condensed milk, which is necessary to hold the other ingredients into a cookie.
Five-Layer Bars - (makes a 9" x 13" pan full)

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  2. ½ cup butter or margarine (melted)
  3. ¼ cup sugar
  4. 1/8 teaspoon salt
  5. 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  6. 1 7oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  7. 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
  8. 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and salt, until well mixed.
  3. Pour mixture into an ungreased 9"x13" baking pan, pressing the crumb mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan.
  4. Sprinkle coconut evenly over crumb mixture.
  5. Sprinkle chocolate chips over coconut layer.
  6. Pour condensed milk evenly over the chocolate chips.
  7. Sprinkle walnuts evenly over the condensed milk layer.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool (overnight is best).
  10. Cut into 1-2" squares, depending on your needs.
  11. Serve or save in an airtight container until needed.



Simple, easy, no mess and Yummy! (The Condensed Milk makes them Dairy - Halavei) One star cause this is so simple and no difficulty involved.

Posted On: Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

Submit Your Recipe Or Story

Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen

The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven The View From Jerusalem T3 - Teddy's Techie Tips Cobwebs Of The Mind Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...