Hot Milk Sponge Cake - Cake Recipe Contest

Editor Note: This is from Beth whom we called "Shrugged" at Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen. She is a regular contributor of recipes here.

The Great Cake Recipe Contest - Submission # 5

I'd completely forgotten about this recipe! All my life, my mother has been making Hot Milk Sponge Cake. All of us kids loved it, but even so, I haven't thought to make it in years. I've made this recipe successfully dozens of times, but after a major debacle with this recipe, I needed to put in a caveat. I was living in Utah at the time, and I forgot to adjust for altitude. (We were about 4000 ft above sea level.) The result was a sorry mess, so I've added a note on how to avoid my disaster.

You can certainly frost this and serve it, but it doesn't need any frosting. It's perfect all by itself. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I and my family have all these years.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Cooking Utensils Required:
  1. 2 8" round cake pans or 1 8x11" rectangular cake pan
  2. 1 large bowl
  3. Electric Mixer (for beating egg mixture)
  4. 1 medium bowl
  5. Fork (for sifting)
  6. Spoon (for stirring in flour mixture and milk mixture)
  7. 1 medium sauce pan
  8. Soft Spatula
  9. Toothpicks (for testing)
Ingredients:
  1. 4 eggs
  2. 3 cups sugar
  3. 2 teaspoons vanilla
  4. 2 cups flour
  5. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  6. ½ teaspoon. salt
  7. 1 cup milk
  8. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
  2. Grease and flour – on bottom only – either 2 layer pans or 1 rectangular pan.
  3. In large bowl, beat eggs until appearance is thick and lemony.
  4. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
  5. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
  6. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
  7. In saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add hot milk mixture to batter mixture all at once.
  8. Stir until well combined.
  9. Pour mixture into prepared pan(s) – using spatula to get remaining batter out of bowl, and to spread batter evenly.
  10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
(At higher altitudes, make sure to adjust time. Cooking at higher altitudes generally takes about 10-15 minutes longer for this cake. When in doubt, though, stick to the toothpick test for accuracy.)

Shop @ Amazon with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ Cafe Press with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need

Shop @ AllPosters.com with Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen & Help People In Need


Fifty Percent (50%) of all revenue of any product purchased through
Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen goes to help feed needy families in Israel. The funds are donated directly to the needy families - regardless of religion, race or creed. The remaining 50% will be donated to a Rape Crises Center for Women in Israel. (For a full explanation please read this.)

No ratings are given for entries into Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen - The Great Cake Recipe Contest

Comments

B.E. Sanderson said…
I was talking to my mother about this recipe this morning, and she reminded me about something. This cake is PERFECT for strawberry shortcake. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
Anonymous said…
I just tried this recipe and my cake "sunk" in the middle. I used wheat flour instead of flour, could this have made my cake sink in the middle? What did I do wrong?

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...