Apple Turnovers

Today we have a real special treat from Paula. I moved this up the queue simply because it is just delicious. She writes:
This weekend I spent canning. I put up 75 jars of sweet pepper relish. It seems everyone with a garden felt the need to provide me with their green tomatoes. Of couse they will all receive a jar or two of relish. When all the green tomatoes were used, I was left with some red ones and decided , what the heck, may as well jar some marinara sauce. I should have closed my eyes and crawled from the kitchen but I realized, I still have apples needing to be cooked in some form. I think my family is tired of pies and cakes now so it’s on to apple turnovers. When I finished, all that was needed is someone to clean my kitchen. The floor is sticky, there are remnants of apples, tomatoes, peppers and such. It smells good, but, oh the mess…
Apple Turnovers

Ingredients For Pie Crust ( using as pastry crust for turnovers)
  1. 2 Cups Flour
  2. ½ Teaspoon Salt
  3. ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
  4. 1/8 Cup Sugar
  5. ¾ Cup Shortening
  6. 10 Tablespoons of Very cold water ( I place in a small bowl with water and place a few Ice Cubes in it and you may not use all of the water)
Directions For Pie Crust:
  1. In a large bowl, mix Flour and Salt with a spoon
  2. Using a fork, work in shortening
  3. Add enough cold water to make the dough stiff without becoming sticky.
  4. Try a few teaspoons at a time you may end up using only 5 -7 tablespoons.
  5. Now dig in with your freshly washed and lightly floured hands and kneed the dough a bit. Squish it between your fingers until blended.
  6. Separate into two balls of dough.
  7. Place one onto a lightly floured surface or on a lightly floured piece of waxed paper
  8. Roll out dough.
Utensils You Need:
  1. 1 Large bowl
  2. Rolling Pin
  3. Baking Sheet
  4. Casserole Dish
  5. Pastry Brush
Variations:
You can cheat and use store bought pastry sheets and it simplifies this for a quick escape from the kitchen



Ingredients For Filling:
  1. 6 -8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
  2. 1/4 Cup of Sugar
  3. 2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
  4. Raisins (optional)
  5. 1 Egg , beaten (to brush on turnover)


Directions:
  1. I place the apples, cinnamon and sugar in a casserole dish and bake them for about 20 minutes to soften them.
  2. Roll out your dough
  3. Cut into 4 x 4 square (collect the scraps , ball and re roll )
  4. Place approx 3 Tablespoons of apples in the center of the dough
  5. Bring one corner up to make a triangle
  6. Brush the edges with water (using pastry brush)
  7. Press edges together all around ( you can use a fork to make a design along the edges)
  8. Brush with egg
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 40 minutes (until golden brown)






What can one say? Great recipe. Apples & Cinnamon. Pastry. Made right these will be gobbled up. Unfortunately, Teddy is on a diet and will not make them for himself, but I will try this out for my next serious time in the kitchen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...