Apple Cake

With this recipe Paula shares some of those great moments with the family as well as a great Apple Cake:
Each year, I gather my sisters, their children and their grandchildren and head to the orchards. We spend the day picking apples, taking hayrides and finish with a picnic lunch. Having a large family means there is usually a new baby joining us for the first time. This year, my niece Keira got to taste her first apple, picked fresh from the tree.

I buy 3-4 bags (about 30 pounds) of apples. I finish the day by peeling and coring apples for pies, cakes, applesauce and turnovers. My sisters leave the orchard with a small bag of apples and a pie they purchase from the farm.



Apple Cake




Ingredients:
  1. 3-4 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  2. 2 Cups Sugar
  3. 4 Eggs
  4. 3 Cups Flour
  5. 1 Cup Canola Oil
  6. 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
  7. 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
  8. 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
  9. Cinnamon and Sugar to sprinkle
You will need:
  1. Electric Mixer
  2. Large Bowl
  3. 9 x 13 Baking Pan

Variations:
  1. If you don’t like to bake, you can use a box cake mix for this as well.
  2. Reduce sugar to 1 1/2 cups
  3. Slice apples day before, soak in 1/2 cup of cinnamon and sugar over night
Directions:
  1. Mix eggs and sugar until well blended
  2. Add vanilla and orange juice, continue to mix
  3. Add flour and baking powder, mix until well blended (about 5 minutes)
  4. Grease 9 x 13 pan
  5. Pour 1/2 the batter in the pan
  6. Place sliced apples to cover the batter
  7. Pour remaining batter over apples
  8. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
  9. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes (until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean)

Great Apple Cake combined with great family memories. What more can you wish for? Not difficult at all, but since it is baking, as usual a 3-star for difficulty.

Comments

Chef Mom said…
Great minds think alike! I went apple picking this weekend as well. I made (and canned) pie filling and applesauce. I just posted a recipe for applesauce cake that I usually frost with caramel frosting or glaze with cinnamon or apple cider glaze. I have to tell you though, I'm totally going to try your recipe tomorrow! Looks scrumptious!
david hayes said…
This looks delicious. I think think I'll have to try it next time I buy too many apples... something I do too often.
Rumela said…
These look so delicious! When we were little, apple cake were a first day of school tradition. Now as a teacher, I still make apple cake for myself and my husband every year for the first day of school. I know I'll continue to do so when we have children. This recipe has a little more punch than my simple one- I'll have to try it out this weekend! thank you for shearing your post.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...