Italian Meatballs Kosher Style

The following recipe was placed in one of the comments by Catherine Manna. It is good, though you really have to deal with Catherine's refusal to measure out spices (I have tried to help a bit in that area.) She made it a great effort to keep this one kosher, however in her original submission she said she either used ground beef or buffalo meat... so we have to nix the buffalo! (ETA: Thanks to the comment by Juggling Frogs in this recipe, buffalo meat is bison meat, and thus it is kosher. So no need to nix the buffalo!) I worked on the ingredients for approximately 2 pounds of ground beef. I left the directions alone, basically in Catherine's own format.

She writes:
I never measure anything, but it always turns out great!, {ok, 99 percent of the time!} First you need the right ingredients...Kosher that is..

Note: Since I'm Italian i had to learn the Kosher ways, and one of the cheeses which you wouldn't use in this meal anyways, is that some cheeses has renet in it. and one of them is parmigiana Reggiano, i think most aged hard cheese may have this as well but check the labels. Because thats not Kosher.

These meatballs go great with or without spaghetti, even in subs...No Cheese on these! make this meal a Kosher one Indeed!

I have Never felt better since I have learned the "Kosher ways" of eating and living. The No meat and cheese mixed together Rule!!! Proves a healthy one hands down!

"Kosher Rocks" !!!
Italian Meatballs Kosher Style


Ingredients:
  1. Two pounds Ground Lean Beef
  2. One large or two medium potatoes
  3. One medium or large egg
  4. Ketchup
  5. One Finely grated onion
  6. 1 Teaspoon Pepper
  7. 1 Tablespoon Salt
  8. 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil
  9. 1 Teaspoon Oregano
  10. 1 Teaspoon Dijion Mustard
  11. 1 Teaspoon Garlic minced if you like only
  12. 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  13. 4 Tablespoons bread crumbs
  14. Homemade or store bought tomato sauce
Utensils You Need:

1. Mixing Bowl
2. Frying Pan (suggested Iron)
3. Casserole Dish

Directions:

Here I basically leave Catherine's directions as they are. These are obviously not in the normal Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen format.

A few pounds of Ground Lean beef - (let us make that two pounds)

Then: In a big bowl, I mix the meat and I grate a large potato, or 2 medium ones {this will make the meatballs so tender and tasty}

Then: add one egg

Then: Since I don't measure anything, you'll have to use your "Good judgment" {in this case you're allowed to do that} and after mixing it good, your ready to spice it up!

I use:
  1. a little bit of Ketchup,
  2. finely Grated onion
  3. pepper
  4. salt
  5. a little bit of bbq sauce
  6. and spices like seasoning salt
  7. basil fresh if you have
  8. oregano
  9. this imporant ingredient just a bit of dijion Mustard - not too much though
  10. Garlic minced if you like only
  11. a bit of olive oil in the mix
Then:

add and mix really good enough bread crumbs {you might want to add spices to them yourself and salt first though} mix to make your meatballs.

Then:


fry golden brown each side in olive oil, cast Iron pan if you have one, then bake in pre-heated oven 350 with your own homemade tomato sauce in a nice casserole for about and hour, or more check it, more you cook more tender, and the grated potatoes {unlike the eggs} makes these meatballs so tender they melt in your mouth! really truly and honestly!!

Your kids will love them...bake in the middle of the oven...

The recipe here is fairly easy. Once you have the ingredients and mix them together, the trick is to fry and then bake the casserole. I would say you can skip the frying part, but this is Catherine's recipe. She is also looking for more Italian Recipes - good recipes for Kosher Meatballs and Kosher Lasagna (click on each to find all entries on meatballs or Lasagna in Help! I Have A Fire In My Kitchen) To Email Catherine Click Here. Catherine writes:
"am always looking to improve on that one with any new tasty ideas, actually any Italian foods..thanks"

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks yummy!

Why nix the buffalo? Isn't buffalo the same as bison meat? We can get kosher bison in Boston.

I bought it once, but it wasn't different enough from hamburg to justify the expense, for our palates.

Thank you for standardizing this recipe. Now I can try it, and not just admire it. Great teamwork!
My recipe for meatballs is similar
In place of ketchup, I use some of my marinara sauce in the mixture.
House of Israel said…
Can any please help me,
I cant seem to find it anywhere, but, dont laugh, is chicken and cheese cooked together Kosher?
Is Chicken meat or fowl? For chicken parmigian, what would you do?
Ted Gross said…
It is not something to laugh at actually. Chicken and Turkey (fowl) are considered in "meat" products and treated as such, though, this was actually something the Talmud had to deal with as it is not clear that the meat of fowl would have been originally considered a "meat" product. However, the law of kosher stipulates that all fowl are to be treated as "meat" (whereas fish are not). Therefore you will not find the mixing of chicken and cheese in a kosher kitchen, just like you will not find roast beef being served with cheese.

Hope this clears it up.
House of Israel said…
Wow! thats great thank you !!!
I had no idea!
But now i do! Looks like i have to find more wonderful Kosher Recipe's
But first, let me tell you, now that I know why that is the case, "not to mix cheese and chicken", that makes totall sence. Because, that would explane, for those that ate kosher all there life, that would explain our health condition on the planet??? And without a word of a lie, everytime I made CHicken Parmigian, we all get a little sick. Discomfort feeling in our stomach, and for some in the family, for a couple of days, suffering some pain in our tummies, so I thought and I wondered if this has anything to do with what we were eating, then... thinking maybe its the chicken and cheese mixed together??? SO I decided to ask you all here, if it was kosher cause I couldnt find it anywhere, and you have answered my question. Thank you so so much. Its true, you are what you eat, and Thank God he gave you the way so you can live happy, healthy lives. I believe that. Like I said, i have never felt better, since I have Learned so much about eating and living Kosher. I think that if we all, everyone, followed these guidelines, and im still learning them , I believe that alot of the sickneses like cancer and others, that are out there, would be no more. Thanks for the great recipies and tips..My family will thank you too! Good health to you all!
Rafi G. said…
thanks for posting this recipe. I did a search today for cheeseless italian meatball recipes, and this post came up something like 3rd in the google results. I made it for dinner, and it was fabulous. everyone loved it.

Popular posts from this blog

Baking Powder

Shrek Cookbook - Book Review

How It All Began...